Monday, February 9, 2009

Allen's Surgery

I've been thinking about Allen's surgery a lot because it will be a year since the surgery happened in March. In this picture, Allen had just been released from the ICU, so the kids could go see him. Allen had what was supposed to be outpatient ACL surgery. Allen developed compartment syndrome, rhabdomylsis, kidney failure, and an infected seroma. He had to have 4 fasciotomies, where his leg was essentially slit open from ankle to hip on both sides. He was in the ICU for a couple of weeks, in the hospital 28 days, went into the operating room 11 times, had to have muscle removed, and had a drain in his leg until 3 months after the surgery.
Warning: The following pictures are pretty graphic.

Outer thigh


Inner Thigh


Calf


Sponge and suction of wound vac
Too many stitches to count and this is only half of them.
The drain with foam tape.

The drain and what it did to Allen's leg.
I'm so glad this is behind us now. Allen can excercise with no problems, but his leg bothers him often and just isn't the same anymore.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! I have never seen anything like it. This just happend to him? I guess I don't really understand what happened. I am glad that is all in the past. How hard that must have been for you all!

Stacey said...

The surgery was March 12, 2008.

Crystal said...

Oh Allen! That is horrible and very disgusting!! Yuck! So how is your ACL? I don't remember hearing if that was better than before. A year goes by fast huh.